Modern Foreign Languages
In line with the National Curriculum, our children in Key Stage 2 take part in weekly French lessons. Learning another language can improve memory, problem solving and critical thinking skills and lead to enhanced concentration and improved listening skills.
Through fun activities, we give Balksbury children a great preparation for their language learning in Key Stage 3. We use a structured programme of resources which grow the children's knowledge of the French language and enable them to use vocabulary to both express their own thoughts and respond to those of others.
We believe that learning a language provides a great opportunity to develop learning skills not only in French but in English too.
French Progression of Skills
Teaching Safeguarding and Wellbeing through Modern languages (French)
- Develop resilience and perseverance to keep trying and applying knowledge through practise
- Increase own self-esteem and achieve a personal best by not comparing themselves to others
- Experience a positive and supportive environment to practise a foreign language
- Develop respect in recognising that not everybody speaks English
- Develop inter-cultural understanding and acceptance
- Develop a tolerance of differences
- Recognise and focus on similarities not just differences
- Develop communication skills so that you can make yourself understood
- Read body language and facial expressions to develop empathy