How We Use Pupil Data
The categories of pupil information that we process include:
- Personal identifiers and contacts (such as name, unique pupil number, contact details and address)
- Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, and free school meal eligibility)
- Safeguarding information (such as court orders and professional involvement)
- Special Educational Needs (including the needs and ranking)
- Medical and administration (such as diagnosis, doctor's information, child health, dental health, allergies, medication and dietary requirements)
- Attendance (such as sessions attended, number of absences, absence reasons and any previous schools attended)
- Assessment and attainment (such as key stage 1 and phonics, and key stage 2 results and any relevant results) behavioural information (such as suspensions and any relevant alternative provision put in place
Why we collect and use pupil information
We collect and use pupil information, for the following purposes:
- To support pupil learning
- To monitor and report on pupil attainment progress
- To provide appropriate pastoral care
- To assess the quality of our services
- To keep children safe (food allergies, other medical information or emergency contact details)
- To meet the statutory duties placed upon us for the Department for Education (DfE) data collections
Collecting pupil information
We collect pupil information via registration forms at the start of the school year, Common Transfer File (CTF) or secure file transfer from previous school and through Arbor, the school MIS system.
Pupil data is essential for the schools’ operational use. Whilst the majority of pupil information you provide to us is mandatory, some of it requested on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with the data protection legislation, we will inform you at the point of collection, whether you are required to provide certain pupil information to us or if you have a choice in this.
Storing pupil data
We hold pupil data securely for the set amount of time shown in our data retention schedule and comply with Hampshire County Council regulations.
Who we share pupil information with
We do not share information about our pupils with anyone without consent unless the law or our policies allow us to do so. However, we routinely share pupil information with:
- Schools that the pupils attend after leaving us
- Hampshire Education Local Authority
- The Department for Education (DfE) - through a secure data collection portal
- Local authority school nurse team
- Children's Services
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, parents and pupils have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information, or be given access to your child’s educational record, contact Tara Woodhams on email address – firstname.lastname@example.org
You also have the right to:
- To ask us for access to information about you that we hold
- To have your personal data rectified, if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- To request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing
- To restrict our processing of your personal data (i.e. permitting its storage but no further processing)
- To object to direct marketing (including profiling) and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics
- Not to be subject to decisions based purely on automated processing where it produces a legal or similarly significant effect on you
If you have a concern or complaint about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, you should raise your concern with us in the first instance or directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
For further information on how to request access to personal information held centrally by the Department for Education (DfE), please see the ‘How Government uses your data’ section of this notice.
We may need to update this privacy notice periodically so we recommend that you revisit this information from time to time. This version was last updated on 1st April 2023.
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact:
Tara Woodhams, Balksbury Federation, Floral Way, Andover, SP10 3QP.
01264 352801 or 01264 365642
Please see the information below on Data Protection. If you require any further information please contact the school office.