Science at Balksbury Federation
Welcome to our Science Page!
At Balksbury Federation, we strive to provide an engaging and exciting Science curriculum that the children really enjoy. Please see our Intent, Implementation and Impact and the Progression of skills document, which outline the Scientific skills we learn throughout the Federation and how they progress year upon year. We will update this page frequently with photos from across both schools to show off our brilliant Science learning that happens at Balksbury.
Federation Progression of Knowledge and Skills
Intent, Implement and Impact of Science at Balksbury Federation
Science yearly overview
Our Federation recognises the part that science has to play in the world around us, and we strive to ensure that our children are curious about their world. Throughout their journey from Year R to Year 6, we want our children to develop scientific knowledge and understanding through science enquiry that help them answer questions about the world around them. Therefore, we teach science through the delivery of practical and engaging lessons. This ensures that when our children leave the federation in Year 6, they will be equipped with the scientific skills and knowledge that will help them understand the uses of science today and for the future.
At Balksbury, lessons are not just limited to the classroom, so we make use of our extensive grounds to maximise learning experiences. Here is where our longitudinal studies develop natural curiosity to question and investigate the world in which we live and encourage children become more aware of their local environment.
Teaching Safeguarding and Wellbeing Through Science
- Develop resilience and perseverance to keep trying and applying knowledge through practise
- Increase own self-esteem and achieve a personal best by not comparing themselves to others
- Solve problems through enquiry by working things through, based on knowledge known
- Listen, respect and reflect on other people’s views and findings
- Make informed choices and decisions through using given information and observations
- Understand that science should be undertaken in safe way
- Develop confidence to express and voice own ideas
- Value personal hygiene and recognise the importance of personal space
- Work in diverse groups and partnerships, accepting children with specific needs
- Understand sex education and reproduction