Design and Technology
Design Technology at Balksbury Federation is an important part of the curriculum and aims to promote innovation and creativity. Through a carefully planned curriculum, we aim to equip the children with the confidence to take risks; the ability to reflect on their learning; and the ability to adapt their work throughout all stages of a project. We strongly believe that Design Technology develops children’s resilience and ability to come back with new options to try.
As part of the Design Technology curriculum, children will develop their skills of designing, making and evaluating products. They will also develop their technical knowledge of structures and mechanisms. Cooking is also a key part of the Design Technology curriculum and the children will have the opportunity to plan, prepare and cook a variety of dishes both indoors and outdoors developing important life skills for the future. We aim to create an exciting and engaging Design Technology curriculum to encourage resilient and reflective learners.
Teaching Safeguarding and Wellbeing through Design & Technology
- Develop resilience and perseverance to keep trying and applying knowledge through practise
- Increase own self-esteem and achieve a personal best by not comparing themselves to others
- Accept when something goes wrong or doesn’t turn out as expected
- Celebrate success with positive praise for self and others and give constructive feedback when giving an opinion
- Choose materials safely and ensure that they are carried, and used following adult modelling
- Use tools and resources that are appropriate for a task safely
- Work inclusively with others and respect different needs
- Work safely when managing own and others’ food intolerances